Monday, January 21, 2008

Joylinn Renaud


Where to begin. Well I am the odd ball of the group. I am the young single mom. I am currently 28 years old and I have a 9 year old girl child, Emma. She is my one and only, other then my cats ;)

I found out I was pregnant with Emma when I was 18 and had her at 19 years old. I did a lot of growing up in very little time with her.

At 28 weeks in utero, I was scheduled for a sort of higher end ultrasound to check on the baby’s heart because of a defect both her father and his twin brother were born with. During this ultrasound the Doctor asked if he could look over the whole baby. I of course agreed and it was at that point they discovered a mark on the brain. Because she was still in there and we were out here it was told to me it could be one of 2 things – a birthmark or a tumor.

From that point on I had ultrasound every 2 weeks to ensure the mass was not growing at a rapid rate. She was due the 11th of December and had absolutely no interest of coming out of that cozy nook so I was induced the 15th and had her the 16th of December, 1998.

Miss Emma May Joanne came out perfect. 7lbs 3oz, 20 inches long, 10 fingers, 10 toes and a perfect little head on her. Unfortunately this meant things were about to get worse cause that meant the mass was all internal.

It turned out the mass was a type of tumor called a Hamartoma, basically extra brain cells in the wrong spot. I like to tell people she was too smart for her own good. It was the size of a kiwi in her little new born head and it was removed on January 7th, 1999 by an absolutely amazing surgeon, Dr. Ventureyra.

The scaring left behind has left us with quite a bit to handle but we have dealt with it and she has come thru amazingly. She has a form of cerebral palsy called hemi-paresis, a seizure disorder, ADHD and a learning delay of about 3 years. But I had a few doctors tell me that there was a good chance this little monkey would not walk or talk and she runs and never shuts up.

Her father and I spilt up when she was about 6 months old. We have had our ups and downs over the years from hating each other, to court, to being friends to trying to get back together to now, back at friends.

Emma is with her dad every weekend so I then crawl out of mom mode and into party mode. I am the wild, free bird, dating, pierced, tattooed, love to laugh young mom. Not even remotely close to finding ‘mr right’ and just livin life.

Of course this is a very coles notes version of our story and I will definitely dive more into it as time goes on.

If there is anything you would like to know about my life with miss Emma, please ask. I am an open book.

Joylinn xoxo

No comments: